On Wednesday, 13 September 2017, Elia is organising an information event on the Aalter project at the Lakeland industrial zone.
This event will be held at:
Businesses and local residents in the Lakeland industrial zone and surrounding area will receive invitations to this information event. Businesses are invited to attend between 11.30 a.m. and 3 p.m., and local residents between 5 p.m. and 7.30 p.m.
At this event, Elia will focus on the purpose of the works, the mobility situation at the industrial zone and the project schedule. Businesses and residents will also have the chance to ask the project managers questions.
The Elia project in Aalter aims to modernise and increase the capacity of the high-voltage grid at the Lakeland industrial zone to ensure the future security of supply of households and local businesses in Aalter, Knesselare and Wingene.
Elia's project will also give local businesses at the industrial zone more opportunities to expand, thanks to both the planned increased grid capacity and the space created by moving the high-voltage substation to Léon Bekaertlaan, where Elia has its own site for a new substation.
Second half of 2017 - first half of 2018: Request necessary permits for cable work and high-voltage substation at Léon Bekaertlaan (environmental permit)
Mid-2018 – mid-2020: Construct Léon Bekaertlaan high-voltage substation
Second half of 2018 – first half of 2020: Carry out cable work at Lakeland industrial zone
Second half of 2020: Dismantle high-voltage substation at Venecolaan and commission new substation at Léon Bekaertlaan
Elia will carry out two projects at the Lakeland industrial zone:
- Moving the substation from Venecolaan to Léon Bekaertlaan
The Aalter project involves replacing the substation at Venecolaan with a new 36-kV substation at Léon Bekaertlaan. This substation not only supplies the surrounding industrial zones and residential areas with electricity. The distribution system for Aalter, Knesselare and Wingene is also connected to it.
The current substation at Venecolaan will be dismantled at the end of the project.
- Upgrading the current underground cable connections
Elia will also carry out cable work at the Lakeland industrial zone to connect the distribution system and businesses connected directly to the Elia grid to the new substation at Léon Bekaertlaan. A large part of the existing cable connections in the industrial zone can be kept, reducing the disruption and investment cost. Old parts will be replaced by new cables with higher transmission capacity and connected to the existing connections. Furthermore, two new 36-kV cables will be laid between the new substation at Léon Bekaertlaan and Ter Lake.
The following map shows the location of the cable work:
where old parts will be replaced and connected to existing cables (installing of junction boxes where two cable sections are to be connected);
- the route where the new cables will be laid between Léon Bekaertlaan and Ter Lake.
Elia takes a number of measures to limit the impact of the works on local residents as far as possible:
- Elia uses existing cables as much as possible to limit the impact of the cable work.
- Work only takes place during the day, so no depots or sites are lit up at night.
- After work is completed, the land is always restored to its original state using a description of the location.
- Elia agrees on specific routes with the municipal authorities and local police to spread out and limit site traffic.
- Elia promises local residents that they will always be able to access their homes.
- In the event of specific temporarily increased disruption for residents, Elia or its subcontractor(s) will always let the affected parties know individually via a letter.
- When diversions are required for normal traffic, this is arranged with the road authority (Aalter or the Flemish Region) and clearly communicated to residents.
- Elia informs residents and businesses about the schedule and subsequent phases of the project via a mailing list and up-to-date information on the website. You can register for this mailing list by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Elia assists businesses at the Lakeland industrial zone with their communications by providing an information pack. Businesses can then forward this information on the phases of the project, disruption, accessibility, communication channels and diversions to customers, suppliers and employees.
If you have any questions, or would like more information, please call the free hotline on 0800 11 089 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.